OPAL Play & Learning
We received the highest level (Opal Platinum) in June 2018
OPAL supports schools to dramatically improve the quality of day-to-day play times, with a beneficial impact on lunchtime behaviour, engagement, learning, personal development and physical activity.
What is Play?
- Freely chosen
- Intrinsically motivated
- Self directed
We foster play by creating the conditions and opportunities.
At the Ridge we work hard to continually develop the school grounds and improve the play opportunities to allow the greatest range of play for all our children.
What is available at playtime?
- Mud kitchen
- Water play area
- Huge sandpit
- Wild flower meadow
- Monkey bars and high bars
- Low bars
- Woodland area for climbing trees and den building
- School field for running games
- Digging area
- Bridge garden (climbing frames and equipment)
- Wheeled vehicles area
- Small world area outside for playing with construction, mini vehicles and figures
- Basketball hoops
- Role play furniture and equipment (offices, restaurants, dens, travel agents to name but a few)
- Sports equipment
- Quiet room (inside) board games, colouring and art.
- Outside music station for dance etc.
- Over 800 loose parts for children to invent their own play
We are always on the look-out to develop our play so please come and speak to us if you see anything on your travels or have any new ideas. We have a suggestion box in the office or please speak to Mrs Forman. Loose part donations always welcome.